Bevilacqua's Castle - Italy
Sightseeing tours Conference room Catered for Banquets The Origins of the Castle and its Main Transformations:
14th century: Investiture of the Bevilacqua Castle (1336), erected on a pre-existing site by Guglielmo Bevilacqua
and later completed by his son Francesco.
15th century: Francesco di Sanseverino, at war with Venice, took possession of the Bevilacqua fortress causing
great damage to its structure. The castle was later occupied by Venetian troops.
16th century: The castle was damaged again during the fights between the Venetians and the Imperial army
(Cambrai League, 1509-1517). Presumably in 1532, Gianfrancesco Bevilacqua commissioned Michele Sanmicheli to completely
renovate the medieval building and convert it into a villa with a new and more comfortable interior.
18th century: In 1756 Gaetano Ippolito Bevilacqua restructured and renovated part of the castle interior, thereby
obtaining the wide low-vaulted halls on the first floor.
19th century: After damage caused during the Napoleonic wars at the beginning of the century, the castle was set on fire
by Austrian troops in 1848. After 1860, Felicita Bevilacqua and her husband had the castle renovated in successive stages.
The external walls were decorated with merlons and the entire building acquired a neo-gothic savour in line with the
romantic spirit of that time.
20th century: Engineer Eleuterio Mutto's design for converting the castle into a nursing home ("Asilo di Quiete
Bevilacqua-La Masa") was completed between 1931 and 1932. For financial reasons, however, the nursing home was of short
duration (from 1933 to 1943). In 1945 the building was entrusted to the Salesian friars who used it as a boarding school
until 1966, when the building experienced fire again due to a boiler explosion. The building was later sold and the
owners started a restoration programme aimed at the architectural recovery of the castle.
A castle for celebrations In the
magical atmosphere of times long past, catered for parties, banquets and buffet meals are organized for the most special
The Bevilacqua castle is situated between Padova and Verona, at 5 km from Montagnana. The external medieval architecture
encloses a 16th century interior ascribed to the famous architect Michele Sanmicheli. In case of special events, the
first floor offers room to accomodate up to 500 guests and is surrounded on three sides by a delightful hanging garden
that renders this castle unique. The internal court, with its porticos, offers additional room for buffets or special
evenings. The Bevilacqua Castle also hosts a standing exhibition of antique furniture.
Sightseeing tours Wednesdays and Sundays Summer time: from 15:00 to 19:30 Winter time: from 15:00 to 18:00
For groups, please book in advance.
Bevilacqua Castle Via Roma, 2 - 37040 - Bevilacqua (VR)
Tél. +39 -0442 93655
Fax: +39 -0442 649420